Hiking is a great way to connect with nature and help boost your overall health. In today’s age, we have become attached to technology which bombards us with messages and information 24/7. It is important to take regular breaks from our screens in order to reduce the stress from day to day. Taking a hike through nature is an excellent way to reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety and will also help improve your physical health by strengthening your muscles. In addition to having mental health benefits, being outdoors improves your sensory perception and opens your senses to your surroundings. Taking in the sights, smells, and feelings of nature has so many health benefits it can even be prescribed by a doctor.
Contrary to some beliefs hiking is not all climbing mountains and hills. There are many hiking trails that range in difficulty making certain trails perfect for beginners.
If you are planning your first hiking trip there are some things you must consider before embarking on your trek.
Here are some essentials you should bring when going hiking:
- Hiking boots– You will need to select a pair of boots that works best with the kinds of trails you will be hiking. For most beginner trails a mid- to high-cut models are great for the average hike. The height offers ankle support which is great for hikers of all experience.
- Sunscreen: When spending time in nature it is important to take the necessary precautions to ensure your safety. Wearing sunscreen helps to protect your skin and acts a barrier between your skin and the sun. When sunlight is applied to the bare skin for prolonged periods of time it can result in many different issues.
- Sun hat: This is another tool that can help protect you from the sun. Sun damage can result in nausea and lightheadedness. You don’t want to pass out during your hiking trip!
- Sunglasses: The third aspect to protection from the sun is glasses! Your eyes are very important, and it is necessary to protect them. Sunglasses can also help make it easier for you to see in bright sunny areas.
- Food& Water: There are many different carrying water bottles and bags for hiking. A hydration pack can be placed in your bookbag which will make it easy for you to carry and allow for a hands-free hike. It is important to stay
- First aid kit– With any physical activity, it is important to protect yourself from injury and be prepared in case a situation arises. Be sure to pack your kit thoroughly. Antiseptic ointment, bandages, and compression wrap are essentials that you should have. Compression wrap is also great to wrap your ankles with while hiking. The compression wrap offers support for your ankles which will give you a sturdier stance.
- Cellphone: Although we are trying to disconnect from technology, you should bring your phone along just in case you get lost. This is especially necessary if you plan on hiking alone. If you are hiking alone be sure to tell someone you trust where you will be and if possible, share your GPS location with them. This will ensure that if something does happen, someone else is aware of your whereabouts and can help you.
If you are planning your first hiking trip or one of many, visit Ruidoso New Mexico. There are plenty of hiking trails in this mountainous village. The Lincoln National Forest and two wilderness areas provide the opportunity for hiking, backpacking, and camping in terrain that ranges from the easily accessible to remote and rugged wilderness. They also have horseback riding for a true western experience.
When planning a hiking trip in Ruidoso, New Mexico stay at Innsbrook Village Country Club & Resort. Innsbrook Village Country Club & Resort has beautiful privately-owned resort condo rentals and townhome rentals. With a variety of exciting amenities, we can ensure your stay will be the perfect blend of adventure and relaxation. Visit our rental page to get a quote on our available homes today!